And they said, “Come, let us build us a city, and a tower with its top in the sky, to make a name for ourselves; else we shall be scattered all over the world.”
The people who rebelled against G-d and built the tower of Babylon were divided into three factions:
1. The first group said: “Let us ascend to the top of the tower and dwell there.”
2. Second one said: “Let us ascend to the top of the tower and engage in idol worship.”
3. And the last one said: “Let us ascend to the top of the tower and wage war against Hashem.”
What happened to them? They were punished in 3 different ways as well:
1. The first group: God dispersed them.
2. The second group were turned into monkeys, spirits, and demons.
3. The last one got their language mixed up and confused.
Reb Yakov Kaminestky ZT"L teaches us that the monkey was a specie that didn’t yet exist and which was especially created at that time as mean to punish them.
So contrary to some beliefs, not only did Man not come from the monkey but it’s the monkey that came from man, when the builders of the Babylon Tower were punished for rebelling against G-d and were turned into a new creature, called the monkey. (Some of rebels were turned into elephants as well.) (Sanhedrin 109a, Bereshit Rabbah 23:6, Yalkut Shimoni; Remez 1072, Seder Hadorot)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dedicated Today L'iluy nishmat Shmuel ben Gershon.
To dedicate a "Daily Parsha: Did you know..?" please send us an email via our Contact Form: http://www.igeretyad.org - Thank you.